There are a variety of medical procedures that can terminate a pregnancy including medication and surgical abortions. When considering abortion, it’s important to consider each procedure, in addition to how far along you. While we do not perform or refer for abortion at Bella, by determining gestational age through ultrasound, we can give you accurate information about what types of abortions are used at your stage of pregnancy and discuss the risks involved.
Because abortion is an irreversible decision, once you confirm pregnancy, it is important to take time to think things through, gather information, and ask questions to help you make a fully informed decision.
Some questions to ask
- Is my pregnancy viable?
- How far along am I?
- Will my parents have to be informed?
- What type of abortion would be used and what are the risks?
- Will I feel pain?
- What other options do I have?
- What if I change my mind?
- What if I have a complication?
- What are the South Dakota laws on abortion?
- Will help be available if I need someone to talk to afterward?
- How much time do I have to make a decision?
Risks of Abortion
While abortion is a legal option in the United States, it’s not necessarily an ideal option for everyone. Many women who choose abortion find that afterward they have a difficult time dealing with emotions related to their abortion experience. Generally, this is because they have made a choice under pressure or that was inconsistent with their values.
You may be at risk for emotional or psychological problems if any of these are true for you:
- Abortion goes against your sense of what is right and wrong
- You have spiritual beliefs against abortion
- You are being pressured or coerced to have an abortion
- You lack emotional support from family or the father of the baby
- You feel bonded to your unborn child
- You want to have the baby
- You are having a difficult time making the decision
- You feel you need to keep the pregnancy and/or abortion secret
Along with emotional after-effects, there can also be immediate and/or long-term physical risks to abortion.
Some physical and emotional risks associated with abortion procedures include:
- Excessive Bleeding
- Organ Damage
- Blood Clots
- Adverse Reactions to Anesthesia
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse
- Eating Disorders
At Bella, we believe that you should be informed of all your options, so you can make the best decision for yourself. Make an appointment today to discuss your options in a judgment-free, compassionate environment.